View Single Post
Old 08-21-03, 11:51 PM   #64
puterguy

Quote:
Originally posted by rkh
Puterguy:

Bear in mind that DVI is a digital interface. There's a protocol involved, and I bet that part of that involves specifing scaling(I'm not going to register with the DDWG to get the spec, can someone confirm this?). I did look up your panel, though, and found this:

http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/VG171_171b.pdf

The second bulleted item states, "Displays a native resolution of 1280x1024 for incredible detail and clarity[haha] lower resolutions are scaled to full screen using a third-generation processor with variable sharpness control"

I bet that NVIDIA's driver on Linux is opting for the panel scaling by default. Here's a lame review of my screen:

[
Very interesting... but I am not sure that this type of scaling is the problem. It seems that the above quote is talking about how the monitor which has a physical resolution of 1280x1024 scales up other screen resolutions (which is a tricky but classical problem in image interpolation).

This shouldn't apply to the problem of this thread since I am already running at the native 1280x1024 resolution.

The "scaling" that a video player does is different. It is simply resizing a window that lies naturally within the 1280x1024 screen (note: the jaggies problem occurs even if you don't scale the image to fullscreen -- I get it when I simply stretch a video-playing window to somewhere between approx 1.5x and 2x)

I would have thought that the monitor itself would be unaware of this since in all cases it is displaying a 1280x1024 screen (the only thing that changes is what proportion of the screen is devoted to the video window).

Please let me know if I am thinking about this wrong...
Intel P4 2.8GHz
1.5GB PC2700 DDR Kingston
Leadtek Ultra A250 GF4 4600 128MB with VIVO/TVO
WinFast TV2000XP Deluxe
Dell 1901FP 19" LCD
Antec 400W Power Supply
puterguy is offline   Reply With Quote