View Single Post
Old 09-30-08, 12:48 AM   #20
einstein_314
w00t!!

Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
No offense, einstein_314, but Vista has a lot of that bad rap coming. ESPECIALLY pre-SP1.

At the university I work for, we required our users to install SP1 for Vista. Nearly a quarter of the machines (Newish Dells, HPs, Toshibas, etc) failed to upgrade properly. Either black screens or infinite restarts. It was a disaster that we still haven't recovered from, especially since we don't service student machines.....
I understand what you're saying. And I know that just because I haven't had any problems doesn't mean there aren't any.

I don't think Vista should even be attempted to be put on a machine that was made during XP's lifetime. That's just asking for trouble. And I think that's why there were so many problems. People tried to put it on "older" computer and it didn't work.

I've installed Vista on about a dozen different machines, some laptops, mostly custom built pc's and haven't had a single problem yet.

I think the main problem now is that when you buy a laptop with vista on it, it comes with 30 other stupid resource hogging programs that the manufacturer decided to install. Those are what makes vista a PITA and run poorly.

My roommate just bought a brand new toshiba laptop. 2Ghz C2D, 3 GB ram, etc. It ran like crap. It took forever to boot up, and when it did, there were 10 icons in the task bar, all with popups asking you to do this and that. And the thing was SLOW! Right after boot, there were 81 processes running. This is before she installed anything on it!

I spent a good 3 hours removing the crap and voila, it actually runs quite well. If it had been up to me I would have formatted it and started from scratch.

So yeah....back on topic...
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote