View Single Post
Old 10-01-08, 04:13 AM   #10
CaptNKILL's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Would this be worth it?

Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
Well your right, I need to bite the bullet and upgrade now. What do you guys recomend though, wait until the new Intel release or get a decent setup now?

Will the new CPU's use a different socket?

I don't want to spend a fortune for it to be obsolete in a few months, I know thats the risk you take with high end PC gear but if it's a major update such as this then holding off a little while might be well worth it, just means I have to be a little more conservative with the in game settings for a little while.

Nehelem will be out in a few months on a new socket with DDR3, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near main stream prices, so its tough to say for sure what to do.

You could probably get a pretty nice performance boost from a cheap Core 2 duo with a good overclock but you'd need new ram, mobo and probably a new heatsink, and then once nehelem hits the main stream you'd need new ram, mobo and heatsink again.
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote