View Single Post
Old 10-03-08, 09:25 AM   #19
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Default Re: how to build a really fast home network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Check your logs in the event viewer Nekro. I'm still trying to figure out why my Server 2k3 box refuses to work with my Gig nics. It will start a transfer then basically hang the client pc until I can finally kill the transfer. If you look on the logs on the server it's flooded with error messages.

The Intel Pro 1000 are really nice nics. The ones you linked would work well because they are PCI-E. If it were just a PCI card I'd be afraid of the interface bottlenecking your connection.
Naw, older PCI bus caps @ 133MB/s. Even at full Gigabit speeds you can't fill it. Of course all PCI slots share the same channel which is why PCIe is better.

One thing I found was a huge bottleneck for me on large xfers was simply the storage I was going to. Remember that as you get further into the center of the platter (more used space on the drive, the slower the drive will be. Right around 60-75% is where the drop off normally occurs. This isn't so bad with higher RPM drives as the faster speeds offset the time it takes the head to reach the inner platter. Be sure to run tests on your file-storage to ensure it can handle the load otherwise your system will throttle the connection and you'll get less then expected performance.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote