View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 12:54 AM   #67
ChrisRay

Default Re: Why did NVIDIA skip the revision of Direct X 10.01 on their 9800 GTX/GX2/GTX 260/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
Didn't Anand report nVidia's current gen could do some 10.1 functions if devs coded for it?

"It's useful to point out that, in spite of the fact that NVIDIA doesn't support DX10.1 and DX10 offers no caps bits, NVIDIA does enable developers to query their driver on support for a feature. This is how they can support multisample readback and any other DX10.1 feature that they chose to expose in this manner."

"Supporting DX10.1 is all or nothing, but enabling features beyond DX10 that happen to be part of DX10.1 is possible, and NVIDIA has done this for multisample readback and can do it for other things."

Source:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334&p=7

I hope nVidia gets PhysX support in big titles that matter. After playing with various demos that include PhysX it's become clear to me how important it can be in modern games. Offloading that work from CPU to GPU can sometimes net a 2x or 3x FPS gain. Moving from 20 FPS to 40 or 60 could shape up to be very meaningful in demanding titles.

Waving grass, moving water, flying debris/objects, dynamically moving cloth or character hair are just few things that fall in its domain. Some words from nVidia on some of the things it involves-
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_physx.html
Yes Nvidia can do most DX10.1 functions. But DX10 is not like DX 9.0. You either fully support or it or you dont get the compliancy tag. So anything compiled into DX 10.1 path couldnt be supported by the GTX 280. DX 9.0 has alot of "CAP Hacks" which allow for functions to be enabled even if you dont support it fully. DX10 does not allow for this. So you simply must program specifically to unlock features.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote