View Single Post
Old 10-04-08, 11:07 AM   #80
Rakeesh

Default Re: Windows 7 = Windows Vista Sp2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Wine 1.1.5 was released recently and lots of people use it for games. World of Warcraft works, Guild Wars works as do a multitude of other games.
With lots of bugs and glitches.

Quote:
Do you lose some performance? Yes - i won't argue that, but when you are getting 150 frames per second anyway, why does it matter if you drop to 110? or 90? as long as it's more than 30, you're eyes dont know any better anyway.
Actually that's around 60fps for your central vision, and around 120fps with your peripheral vision. You can notice a difference depending upon how large your screen is and how far away you sit from it.

Quote:
Also, there are zillions of free games for linux - mostly right in the package manager.
But honestly half of these are variations of tetris or otherwise clones of older games.

Quote:
EDIT : I am working on getting Microsoft Great Plains to run in Wine - and save for 2 dll's that wont register, it runs fine. Amazing stuff.
That's the kicker right there. Trying to get these games working in wine often takes a weekend of sitting down and playing with configuration files, etc, for each game you want to play. This is even true of games that have a native linux port and don't need wine. I can't tell you how many times I've had to figure out why when I tried to run one of the quake or unreal games, it bombs with "segmentation fault," and it takes me hours to figure out why that seg fault is happening.

Linux is a good OS for many things, but as a linux user myself, I can tell you gaming isn't one of them. Could it be eventually? Yes, given the proper motivation among developers. But right now? No, not even close.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote