View Single Post
Old 10-08-08, 08:50 AM   #7
Blacklash
8^9^3

Default Re: Ati or Nvidia? Upgrade Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
Wow, great reply Blacklash. Thanks so much!! Hambone, thank you as well! I'm definitely swayingin the 280 direction, I'll see what evga is doing these days. Blacklash, if you have time, can you point me in the right direction for overclocking the e6600? I've never done it before. Is it as easy as multiplier/fsb/cpu voltage tweaking?

Thanks guys!!!
Best overclocking site on the net is below. I am linking you directly to the Intel section.
Try the threads at the top in this section for basic OC advice-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...play.php?f=224

E6600 OC database is here-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=127379

Main Intel section-

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...splay.php?f=59

For 3.0GHz all you should need to do is make sure your ram isn't running too far out of spec. Setting it so you have a ratio that would give you a speed not too far beyond stock is a good idea. For example, I set my ram to a ref of 667 which give me a real speed of about DDR 834 @ 3.0GHz. For 3.5 I run 1:1 which puts me a little below DDR 800. The reason I do that is 3.5GHz is the limit on i975x for my Q6600. I'm guessing a ref of around DDR 800 should put your ram slightly below its correct speed @ 3.0GHz. Usually I will find my CPU max on a 1:1 ratio with relaxed timings first then ramp up my ram and tighten timings appropriately after I know I'm stable. Always make sure your ram is getting its proper voltage too. Some mobos default to 1.84v and some performance DDR2 ram needs anywhere from 1.9v-2.2v to run well. If you're using DDR3 that voltage should be lower.

You shouldn't need to increase vcore until you hit or pass 3.2GHz. For 3.6GHz you'd likely need around 1.42-1.46v to be Prime blend stable. You might need to tweak MCH beyond a 400FSB although many new boards like X38/P45 don't need extra MCH voltage until about a 423FSB or higher.

Good luck. Be patient and methodical. Again I'd take my ram out of the equation when searching for CPU max by going 1:1 relaxed timings until I found said max. If your goal is only 3.0GHz you should only need to drop the ratio to a level that ensures you aren't too far out of spec.

BTW Do not overclock if you are unwilling to assume the risk. Hardware failure could occur. That said, I've never killed an Intel CPU or nVidia graphics card overclocking. Then again, I am not an extreme overclocker that uses such things as LN2. I once killed a ram kit by dropping to much voltage on it to run very tight timings at high speed. That's on me, I knew I was in dangerous territory.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote