View Single Post
Old 10-19-08, 04:22 PM   #7
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default Re: 9800GTX or GTX280

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddilion View Post
ATI has made a huge comeback since the 2900 series, you really cannot go wrong with either one now. If I were you I would go with either a 260 and overclock it to 280 speeds which most will easily do or go with a 1gb HD4870. 280's are nice cards but imo they are still to expensive considering how easy it is to get a 260 to perform on par with one with an overclock and save yourself close to $180 at the same time.
But if you must absolutely have the best single GPU and money is not an issue then by all means get the 280 and overclock it. Or as Xion said the HD 4870X2 is where it is at for dual gpu solutions and the card will rock your socks off.
Indeed!
And wow!
I totally agree. It hasn't been since the 6200 days that I've contemplated trying to get the performance of a more expensive card out of the less expensive version. I wonder how close to performance of a GTX280 some ppl have gotten with a GTX260. The savings could easily be $150 to $200 for right now! And that could get you a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU and a GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H MOBO! If you include the GTX260 the grand total without RAM, $400?

I've already, "(RMAing the 9800GX2 already; GTX280 will be here Tuesday. Sry I just had to do it.)" Because I was so dissatisfied with the 9800GTX.

But yes Meddilion, the GTX260 is definitely the way to go for countless scenarios. In addition to upgrading for example, a brand new system with a budget of under $600. And you have the trade up programs to consider too. Meaning that you could easily end up with a GTX280 for very little if its price dropped just right and in a timely manner.

What I want is a miracle and to trade up from a GTX280 to a GTX380 AS IF it was going to be released in less than 100 days. But then I also want to also get a kit to print actual certified money.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote