View Single Post
Old 10-20-08, 03:55 PM   #28
ChrisRay

Default Re: I change my mind about the GTX280

The more "GPU" limited you are and the slower your avg frame rates. The more the frame times can vary. The chart comparing the 3870X2 and 4870X2 shows just that. Also the slower your actual frame times. The larger the spikes will be.

The data you just showed is a pretty bad example of your interpretation ((At least what I understand your interpretation to be. I could be wrong and if I am forgive me.)). But does demonstrate that having a higher actual framerate can bring about smaller frame times and spikes. The 9800GX2 will have larger frame time deviations than say dual GTX 280 cards as well. This is why its so easy to say that frame deviations can look different dependent on the power of your setup. Or that lower end SLI/Crossfire setups will be more prone to see it at lower levels of performance. Looking at that chart its very easy to see the 4870X2 has a much higher AVG frame rate due the lower frame times presented. I'd be curious to see what your frame times look like in a much lower overall framerate. It'd be interesting to see the actual frame rates displayed, ((I cant read the graph its too small for me to try and interpret the overall frame rate based on what its showed to represent)). And It'd also be interesting to see how the cards cope with with harder settings and lower AVG frame rates. Notoriously multi GPU setups are known for unusual performance behavior below 25 FPS range.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote