View Single Post
Old 11-25-08, 11:32 AM   #7
cairastravis
Somebody

Default Re: Power supply for use with GTX 260?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
There are more single rail psu's available now to better work with the power hungry hardware available and sli/crossfire. Multi rail psu's are not as effective. Lets say you have three 12v lines each rated at 20a, this does not equal 60a on the 12v, in reality it's more close to 50a.

Let's take the picture you have there as an example:
Watt is Volt times Ampere. You have a dual rail system, 12v listed at 18 and 20a (38a)
That's peak performance. Since they list how much watt is dedicated to the 12v lines we can calculate the real performance on the 12v lines: 420w/12v= 35a

So lets say you max out the 20a line then you will only have 15a available on the second, or if you max out the 18a line you have 17a on the rail rated at 20.
Thanks for the details. At least now I know why a single rail PSU is better, and I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Quote:
nVidia recommends a 500w minimum with 36a available on the 12v lines (432w dedicated to 12v). This is for the whole system.
Do you know where this recommendation is? I couldn't find anything specific on their GTX 260 product page (other than 500W minimum power supply requirement). (It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to see what kind of caveats they list, if any.)

Quote:
According to benchmarks i've seen the gtx 260 can peak at 320w alone
How can nVidia claim 182W peak if it's really 320W? That's not even in the ballpark.

Assuming that 320W figure is correct, though, what happens if it doesn't get it? Crashes? Visual glitches? Note that I'm not going to ever go SLI. I don't game enough to justify the expense.

Thanks again for your detailed response. I really appreciate it.
cairastravis is offline   Reply With Quote