View Single Post
Old 11-27-08, 12:56 PM   #1
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Default New XFX GTX260 Core 216 Black Edition

Well I broke down and bought one of these after reading the reviews on Firing Squad. Replaces a 3870x2 and I must say I'm quite impressed with the 180 release drivers and the performance of this over clocked beast. While I can't say the FPS is a major jump from my 3870x2 what I do notice is the lack of input lag, I mainly play World of Warcraft and while the game wasn't a heavy hitter it is now. They really bumped the view distance, textures and shaders up in Wrath of the Lich King. On my 3870x2 I was averaging with full in games settings at 1900x1200 around 35 to 60 FPS depending on the area but what really annoyed me was the lag, if I turned to fast the card would drop to 16FPS or lower and then go back up. On the GTX260 I notice little to none of this and my FPS are a solid 45 to 60. I love it!

Not that I'm trying to bash ATI, I think their cards are great but this XFX Black Edition was such a great price. $300 shipped from Newegg.com. I was debating a 4870 1GB but I went with NVIDIA due to all the rave reviews the Core 216 and release 180 drivers were getting. I may go back to ATI one day, I really have no allegiance but I can say I don't think I'll go multi GPU any time soon. I think that's one of the reasons I saw the lag, WoW doesn't play nice with Crossfire or SLI.

I do have a question, been about two years since I had an NVIDIA GPU. I wanted to know is there a way in the driver control panel to tell the temperature of the board? I just want to make sure it's not getting to toasty, my case is well ventilated and the wire management is pretty good but I just want to make sure seeing as the card is OC. Thanks for the advice, I can't see any option in the control panel but maybe I'm missing something.

System:
Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
8GB DDR2 DRAM
XFX GTX260 Core 216 Black Edition (Core Clock: 666Mhz Core Memory:2300MHz)
Auzentech Prelude
4 320GB Western Digital HDDs in Raid 5
750 Watt PC Power and Cooling PSU
Windows Visa x64 Edition

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote