View Single Post
Old 12-13-08, 07:06 PM   #17
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Best 50-60 inch LCD HDTV for under $5000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medion View Post
For picture quality, the Kuro Elite is a little better, but there are burn in issues. Stick with the Samsung (LED LCD) if you plan to play video games for significant periods of time, and/or you tend to stick to one television channel for long periods of time. When it comes to plasma and LCD technology, these sets are unrivaled right now. They are the very top of their class.

Burn in is only an issue on low end plasmas - at the high end it's been pretty much eliminated altogether.

Quote:
Sony has a lot of people fooled right now, but I'm glad that they do. It helps stimulate the economy Truth is, the Bravia XBR panels, and the Samsung 5-9 series panels come from the same jointly owned factory, of which Samsung has a controlling stake. So, while the panels are the same, what's different? The back lighting, the strength of the light, and the interface. At the same price, I'd take a Sony over a Samsung for the better menus, but for near identical picture quality, they're not worth the price difference.
Just because the panels come from the same factory doesn't automatically mean that they'll have the exact same picture quality. There are a lot of differences between the two, many of whom you listed in your post, and there's a reason why sony's TVs tend to look and do better as of late compared to the rivaling samsung models.

Quote:
Correct. I just want to add that LED is still in it's infancy, and the LEDs are nowhere near pixel sized yet. So while an LED LCD can look better than a normal LCD in terms of screen uniformity, the Plasmas are still superior.
+1