View Single Post
Old 09-05-03, 06:49 PM   #434
Flavius

Quote:
It would make no sense to wait and buy the SE line of cards. The 5200 SE, 5600 SE and 5900 SE are being introduced as a value line of cards that will be clocked lower. The Ultra will still be the top card.
Maybe. You don't know that for a fact. What we DO know is that that the SE chips will be the first to be manufactured by IBM, using a more advanced and streamlined process than before. If anything, they are likely to be faster, not slower. I think the actual value will be that they will cost less to produce, based on Nvidia's shareholder statements yesterday. Nvidia might pass on the savings to the customer. However, that doesn't automatically mean they'll be clocked lower. We'll have to see. We know the SE chips will be made using the IBM process and will appear this fall because 1) Nvidia said the first IBM-made chips will appear in new cards released this fall, and that chips at IBM are already in production and 2) Nvidia said the NV40 won't appear until next spring. Now, with the R360 and higher clocked ATI cards likely coming out BEFORE next spring, I SINCERELY dount Nvidia will not increase or improve the performance of the 5900 Ultra hardware until next spring when the NV40 comes out. I am willing to bet we'll see a faster 5900 chip before NV40 comes out next year.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote