View Single Post
Old 09-06-03, 01:33 AM   #5
Seth

I had the same problem using a G4Ti4600. I found that if I toned down the AGP setting from 4x to 1x my system had stability. Now I don't mean tune down your AGP options within the XF86config-4 file, because I too did this and got nowhere. I lowered my AGP in my Bios and this seemed to help. I found that once I did this the system seemed to run longer before it hung.

I'm not sure if this was the correct cure, but I finally corrected my freezes by setting my bios back to its default settings. Since I've done this, Mandrake 9.1 runs stable and my OpenGl applications run like a champ. After doing this, I let my system run for 4 days, and it ran rock solid.

I have a Gigabyte GA -7VRXP mb and within the section that controls the graphics, I have options such as aperature size, strentgh of the signal and settings such as Ultra, Fast...you get the picture.
I had my aperature set as 128 and my setting at Ultra along with other things. Linux and Windows didn't seem to handle these setting very well and always resulted in a crash, infinite loop, or some other type of headache. Again, for you, I suggest setting your Bios to its default and then give Mandrake a try.

For your problem with the driver only seeing half of your video memory I don't have a clue. Sorry!

As for the agpgart, this should not be a problem for you. I might be mistaken, but I thought the problem only existed for users using AMD (athlon) processors.

More then anything it sounds as if your proplem lies within your motherboards bios. Best of Luck.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote