View Single Post
Old 12-23-08, 04:20 AM   #1
juzsp

Angry DX10 stutter on my new GTX260 DX9 works fine

Hi there,

I've just purchased a BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore and im having a few problems.

I cant seem to run any games in DX10. Well, i can but the frame rate is really choppy and for some reason i get no sound (the graphics card has nothing to do with sound as far as im aware). The strange thing is it doesn't seem like normal frame rate lag, i can pan round a scene ok but it has a strange stuttering quality to it, almost like its only showing every few frames. No pauses for loading new objects/textures and anything associated with normal lag, just a strange stutter. Even the intro sequences with the the developer/Publisher logo's stutter REALLY badly (worse than the games) but i get sound with them, stuttery sound but sound none the less.

No frame rate issues in DX9, publisher/Developer intro logos are fine to. Still have no sound in game though, only during the during the intro logos. Also, when running games in DX9 i get slight, high pitched squealing sound from the Graphics card. I doesn't happen in DX10 but in DX9 there is defiantly squealing. now i've heard this happening before and everyone says its nothing to worry about so im not that bothered (if my sound would work i could drown it out lol)

Specs:

Processor: E6750
PSU: Jeantech Storm 700w
Motherboard: Asus P5B-SE
Ram: Geil Ultra 4GB PC6400 800MHz (4-4-4-12)
GPU: BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE

Now, after reading up on the net, people are saying you need a decent PSU to power the card I thought that may be the reason so i upgraded my 600w PSU to a 700W one. didn't make any difference.

I've also updated the Nvidia Drivers to the most recent version, reinstalled DirectX No problems with temps, down clocked it, over clocked it (slightly) and still nothing.

The strangest thing is i ran the DX10 cascade demo from the Nvidia site and it works fine sound and everything. Im really confused.

This is the case with ALL games i've tried, LOTRO, Crysis Farcry 2, everything.

It doesn't sound to me (with my very limited knowledge) that it's a hardware problem, what with the sound issues and the cascade demo working fine. i'm thinking it's a driver/software/god being angry with me problem of some kind.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome, i really don't want to have to stick my old 7950GT back in there, especially as i will be stuck with it till over the Christmas period.
juzsp is offline   Reply With Quote