View Single Post
Old 12-29-08, 12:35 AM   #12
Bman212121

Default Re: Zalman CNPS9700 LED > Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
I think the surface may have been bowed on the 120. However, I don't have the skill, nor the patience to grind that sucker to a smooth surface. If I did, I'm sure it would be fine.
That is probably the case. I honestly never paid enough attention to the temps to be able to tell you which one works better. I have 2 systems that are almost identical, one uses the 9700 and one uses a TRUE. I could put that to the test but it would be a little unfair because I lapped my TRUE / Q6600 and not the 9700 / Q6600. The lap had to have dropped my temps by 5C if not 10C on the TRUE, but like I said I don't pay that much attention to temps.

FWIW I also have a 9500 in another pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I had the 9700 before I got the Thermalright and the Zalman was not as good. Higher temps and RPMs. I still use it though, in another system. It's a great cooler but the Thermalright Ultra series is better
It depends on what you're pairing it with. When I had my 9700 paired with the DFI-Expert and FX-60 the fan wouldn't even turn on when the pc was at idle. Even after you started using it the cooler stayed at low RPMs because of the settings in the BIOS. I would agree it can be loud if you let it run at 100%, but the same could be said for the TRUE depending upon what fan you used with it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote