Thread: New to Linux
View Single Post
Old 01-02-09, 10:15 PM   #7
fhj52

Default Re: New to Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
... i didnt set a drive as a swap drive since i have 3GB of ram. think that'll be okay?
The kernel needs a little swap space.
Try 100MB(it actually uses less but that is a good number). The only other time swap is used depends on how much you have running at once or if some errant program has a memory leak. A memory leak w/o a large swap will quickly stall the system but in almost ten years, I only experienced that once. Even then, not a memory leak precisely.

You can use a "swapfile" and not set a drive(partition) for swap so there is no need to (re)partition space to accommodate a swap.

This will create swapfile of ~ 100 MB on the root (/) partition
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1024 count=100000
(dd)

Then this formats it as swap
Code:
mkswap /swapfile
(mkswap)

Then you need to turn it on
Code:
swapon /swapfile
(swapon)

Other locations(other than /) are okay. Best location is on a separate physical drive, if you have a second physical drive.
You will want to set it to activate at every boot. I'll leave that for you to determine how to do it(you did say "its amazing how much i have learned"). It's not hard ... .

Please be careful with dd command. It is very powerful.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote