I've been using Linux Mandriva 2007.0 with GeForce 7600 for a couple of years now, and I'm quite satisfied with it. After updating my nVidia driver to 177.82, it seems like compiz no longer works.
- When starting GNOME without any 3D effects, everything works fine - be there are no 3D effects.
- When starting it with AIGLX support - it starts without any effects, plus there are no window decorators. Please note that before updating the driver, AIGLX mode was disabled.
- When starting it with GLX support (that used to work) - it starts, I can see the cursor move around and change according to each position on the screen - but the screen is completely white. I can rotate the cube around, and use different special effects. But still - the screen is completely white. The only way to get around it is to restart the X server and turn off the effects.
I've tried the following:
1. Messing around with xorg.conf, trying different options - nothing worked.
2. Trying to reconfigure the video card via the mandriva control center - only caused my X to crash horribly. Reinstalling the driver got it back to the state seen above.
3. Adding LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 to /usr/bin/compiz-start.
4. Adding to my xorg file:
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "False"
5. I tried seeing if I can remove x11-xserver-xgl, but it's required for task3d-desktop, which is required in order to start mandriva's compiz manager (drak3d).
6. Downgrading to driver version 96.43.
4. Googling my questions, then googling it some more, and so here I am.
Is this a known issue? Is there anything more that could solve it?
Please note: I've downloaded and installed the driver from nvidia.com, and I probably still have the old nvidia driver kernel modules installed (those should probably be inactive). Could this be the problem, should I remove any RPMs I have?
I would appreciate any help!
Thanks in advance,