View Single Post
Old 01-05-09, 11:30 PM   #1
renenel

Default Mandriva + GeForce 7600 = problems?

Hi,

I've been using Linux Mandriva 2007.0 with GeForce 7600 for a couple of years now, and I'm quite satisfied with it. After updating my nVidia driver to 177.82, it seems like compiz no longer works.

- When starting GNOME without any 3D effects, everything works fine - be there are no 3D effects.

- When starting it with AIGLX support - it starts without any effects, plus there are no window decorators. Please note that before updating the driver, AIGLX mode was disabled.

- When starting it with GLX support (that used to work) - it starts, I can see the cursor move around and change according to each position on the screen - but the screen is completely white. I can rotate the cube around, and use different special effects. But still - the screen is completely white. The only way to get around it is to restart the X server and turn off the effects.

I've tried the following:
1. Messing around with xorg.conf, trying different options - nothing worked.

2. Trying to reconfigure the video card via the mandriva control center - only caused my X to crash horribly. Reinstalling the driver got it back to the state seen above.

3. Adding LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 to /usr/bin/compiz-start.

4. Adding to my xorg file:
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "RenderAccel" "False"

5. I tried seeing if I can remove x11-xserver-xgl, but it's required for task3d-desktop, which is required in order to start mandriva's compiz manager (drak3d).

6. Downgrading to driver version 96.43.

4. Googling my questions, then googling it some more, and so here I am.

Nothing works... Is this a known issue? Is there anything more that could solve it?

Please note: I've downloaded and installed the driver from nvidia.com, and I probably still have the old nvidia driver kernel modules installed (those should probably be inactive). Could this be the problem, should I remove any RPMs I have?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,
Renen
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (27.8 KB, 72 views)
renenel is offline   Reply With Quote