View Single Post
Old 01-06-09, 04:36 AM   #1
Tweetie

Default Can't enable XGL

Using x86_64, nVidia card with prop. nVidia drivers, KDE4, Compiz-fusion.

After trying to get X and Compiz to stop eating CPU resources, I was told to try using XGL instead of "native support". However, every time I enable XGL, I cannot boot in, X kicks me out, and have to re-enable native support to get a working desktop.

Checking the xorg.log there are no errors indicated, however in xorg.9.log, there is a short section which describes the following problem:

Code:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
I added a line in xorg.conf to point to the module location, but still the above error occurs.

Un-installing the nVidia driver as per nVidia documentation (nvidia-installer --uninstall), then re-installed, but still the same problem, Xgl does not start. Installing the driver as pure x86_64 instead of 32 bit libraries as well (to get Google Earth to run), does not solve the problem. I have deleted libglx.so and the symlinked file in case there was a problem with these files, the nVidia driver re-installs them but still no joy.

Also as the help documentation suggests, I check the existence of certain files / symlinks, libglx.so does exist as a link to the current version of libglx for the nVidia driver.

I am now lost at what to do next, I am no Linux expert so don't want to do any more that might trash the setup, which brings me here.

Current driver version: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.82-pkg2.run
Card: Nvidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache
Tweetie is offline   Reply With Quote