View Single Post
Old 01-09-09, 05:06 AM   #3
Sevarus

Default Re: 180.22 now declared stable, what about repository?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
As far as I know there is no repository officially provided and supported by nvidia, and in my opinion it shouldn't. There is a load of distributions out there, which tend to do things very differently (best example is ubuntu, which screwed up the driver loading mechanisms that much that a manual installation leaves your X broken).

From a personal point of view, I prefer nvidia putting the manpower (which seems to be not enough still) into driver development, not packaging drivers for all distributions (or even all major distributions) out there.

Packaging a driver to fit the distribution specific settings, mechanisms and file locations is up to the distribution, so contacting the responsible package maintainer is probably the best idea.

Fuchs
I do believe that you're talking out of yer butt. I use Ubuntu and manually update using the nvidia sh method and have NEVER had a problem with X being broken....save for my own tinkering.

I do agree that packaging belongs in the hands of the distros. To that effect, Alberto Milone handles the Ubuntu side as well as the ENVY_NG application for automating the nvidia driver process for not only ubuntu, but vanilla debian.

Don't talk FUD just because you have had a problem. Verify that its REALLY a problem first, eh?
Sevarus is offline   Reply With Quote