View Single Post
Old 01-11-09, 06:04 AM   #21
apaige

Default Re: GF8200 / Poor 2D performance / ETA of fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Dimension View Post
Please tell us a little bit more about your system!
  • Asus M3N78-EM motherboard (GeForce 8300 IGP), GeForce 8600GT discrete PCIe card (512MiB of on-board RAM)
  • AMD Phenom 9600 quad-core CPU (2.3GHz) with TLB BIOS workaround *disabled* (I never run into the bug, so why suffer the performance penalty), virtualization disabled (I don't need it), Cool N' Quiet enabled (idles at 1.2GHz)
  • 8GiB of DDR2-800 RAM (512MiB for the IGP, 5GiB ramdisk, which leaves 2.5GiB usable by the OS), dual channel, unganged mode
  • Arch Linux x86_64, running a self-compiled linux kernel (vanilla 2.6.27.10, CONFIG_X86_PAT disabled, not sure if that makes a difference)
  • xorg-server 1.5.3, NVIDIA driver 180.22, Openbox window manager version 3.4.7.2 (I don't run any desktop environment), GTK2 version 2.14.6
  • /etc/X11/xorg.conf: Composite extension disabled, xtrap and record modules disabled (I don't need them), TripleBuffer on, TwinView off (I use two LCD panels, one of which connected to the 8300, the other one to the discrete 8600GT along with my TV via S-Video, each with their own X.org screen)
  • ~/.xinitrc: nvidia-settings --config="$HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc" -l and nvidia-settings -a PixmapCacheRoundSizeKB=65536. I don't use a login manager.

Test cases that have been problematic with past NVIDIA driver releases:
  • Firefox 3 with this page loaded (it has a fixed background): scrolling on that page used to be excruciatingly slow; it's smooth as silk with my current setup.
  • Firefox 3 with the x86_64 Flash plugin version 10.0 d21: non-fullscreen animations and videos are smooth, but use a lot of CPU (and multiple cores, I might add). I don't even dare trying fullscreen video, for fear of crashing Firefox or locking up X.org: the x86_64 flash plugin is beta software, and I've had unpleasant experiences in the past.
  • Firefox 3 with a large image loaded in it: switching to another workspace, then going back to Firefox's workspace within 15 seconds, is fast (the entire screen draws instantly); when waiting over 15 seconds, the display shortly freezes until it's done drawing (about a second).
  • rxvt-unicode terminal, version 9.06: maximized window with no decorations, fake-translucent background (transparent, tintColor and shading properties enabled): it draws pretty slowly when Xft support is compiled in, but fast when Xft is disabled, which I don't mind because I like terminals to use a console font with no anti-aliasing.
  • gtkperf -c1000: executes in about 75 seconds, with the scrolling test taking only 2.3 seconds. It used to be much slower than that (much more than 100 seconds, can't remember exactly). I'm using the "Mist" GTK2 theme, with gtk-xft-antialias=1, gtk-xft-hinting=1, gtk-xft-hintstyle=hintfull, gtk-xft-rgba=none, "DejaVu Sans 8" as default font.

I can't think of anything else right now.
apaige is offline   Reply With Quote