View Single Post
Old 01-11-09, 09:22 PM   #8
bobdobbs00

Default Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
Yet you have time to come troll on here.
It is not my intent to troll.

Also, iit is quiet possible to post, read and search on a seperate computer while another computer is rebooting or engaging in other time-consuming tasks.
And much rebooting and killing of X has been been happening.

Anyway, for now I have gone back to the 177 driver, installed via ubuntu's restricted drivers manager. The resolution was extremely low again, so I used 'nvidia-xconfig', which I believe changes settings in the xorg.conf.
This didn't work to allow me to change the resolution. It was still very low. So I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', rebooted.

It looks like this command recreates the xorg.conf and removes references to the nvidia driver provided by ubuntu's driver restricted driver manager.
After the reboot I have normal resolution back, but the windows feel clunky and "smear" across the screen.

The generated xorg is pretty simple:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
So, the driver was removed from the conf by dpkg. At least I have usable resolution, albeit no advanced functionality from the nvidia card..

Attached to this post is a gzipped generated bug report log and installer log in case it could be useful.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (35.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-installer.log.gz (6.3 KB, 70 views)
bobdobbs00 is offline   Reply With Quote