View Single Post
Old 01-19-09, 10:39 PM   #7
einstein_314
w00t!!

Default Re: Cable Televison On Computer Questions

Yeah the whole HDTV thing is a mess if you want to use it with your computer. I was looking into it the other day actually. Where I am my cable provider is Shaw. If I were to order HDTV I HAVE to use their cable box to decode the signal that is sent to me. There is no other way to do it. So my options from there are

a) run component to a HDTV capture device (like the Hauppauge HD PVR) and record TV that way. All control of the channel and stuff would have to be through cable box (so no using VMC)

b) the DTV terminal that shaw uses (Motorola somethingerother, it's a pretty common one I think) has a firewire port on it. Apparently you can install hacked firmware on it so that you can use the firewire port to send a unencrypted feed to your computer. But it's through firewire, so you have to use a specific program with it (most programs can't just display firewire video).

c) forget about the computer and just use it like normal.

I decided it was too much of a hassle to even bother with. I'm just going to keep downloading the TV shows I want in HD.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote