View Single Post
Old 01-24-09, 05:15 PM   #6
wustl285

Default Re: 285 too much for CoolerMaster 600 Watts eXtreme Power PSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Hey wustl285, welcome to NVNews!

I checked your EVGA card and CoolerMaster PSU specs. GeForce GTX 285 SSC card is the flagship, accorded to the spec it require 550W PSU minimum with +12V of 40A but unfortunately your CoolerMaster PSU only can handle dual +12V rails of 18A each so it 36A. This mean your CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 600W PSU is not up to it so you need a new PSU with triple or quad +12V rails with more than 40A can handle GeForce GTX 285 SSC.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. By chugs I mean everything runs slow. From opening windows explorer, to starting up, to going to task manager. It's slow to the point that occasionally the mouse cursor will stop at point on the screen and then speed up realy quick catch back up with where it should be.

Is there a buyer's guide or some other site you'd recommend for new PSU's? It needs to stick in the same 5.5 inch form factor, but I'm willing to spend 200-300 bucks to get something that will work without issue and be able to handle an 8800 GT I plan to put in there (what I upgraded from) to do just physx and AI using this CUDA stuff I'm seeing.

You guys recommend coolermaster? Thermaltake? I figure I'll look for something at around 900-1000 Watts just so if I ever want to SLI this 285 with another card I could so. That said I tend to be a single card guy who waits two to three generations before upgrading to the newest single gpu solution.

Thanks guys.
wustl285 is offline   Reply With Quote