View Single Post
Old 01-25-09, 01:15 PM   #36
kralizec

Default Re: GF8200 / Poor 2D performance / ETA of fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuxhippy View Post
The driver got a major 2D overhaul between 173 and 182, moving from a mostly-software to an mostly-hardware accalerated architecture.
In fact the 182 drivers provide currently best-in-class 2D accaleration, better than all the praised open-source drivers (intel included).

I wouldn't conclude the dirver is "the driver is so fundamentally flawed" just because there is one problem with one program (flash) which even only shows up when running compiz.
Yes, this is most likely a bug. But its clearly not armageddon
What makes me a bit angry however is the lack of communication with Nvidia. Just something like "we were able to reproduce it and filed a bug" would help a great deal.

- Clemens
At least in my case, the issue happens without compiz or any other 3D desktop (I use IceWM), and not only with flash. What it happens is that flash seems to be the most demanding (and popular) 2D application out there.

If someone knows of a performance test to run, I would be happy to try it with different configurations, and let you know the results. I have tested several options related to the pixmap cache size, and none of them worked.

What I don't find logical either is to deny that there is a problem when:

a) It used to work properly
b) It stopped working properly

without any other changes but the driver version.
kralizec is offline   Reply With Quote