View Single Post
Old 01-28-09, 04:16 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default "Side-by-side" error...?

Hey ya'll... trying to fix a customer's laptop and it's going over like a turd in a punch bowl so far. They have a GatewayFX running Vista HP x64.

At first the problem was they could not connect to any network- whether wired or wireless. If you hovered the cursor over the network connection icon at the lower right of the screen (on the task bar) it'd not display the usual "Network and Sharing Center" and "Connect to a Network" links. Instead it'd say it was unable to establish a connection due to the dependency service not being started... or something to that effect.

So, I updated the network adapter drivers and it seemed to connect to the network just fine. But anytime I go to run a program (or an executable in general) I now get this message:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\*Program Name\*Program.exe*

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details."

I've checked the event viewer for every application I've tried to run, and no events show up. If I look under the generic events for windows, I get a bunch of errors relating to "side-by-side"... but I have no idea what "side-by-side" is. I've tried scouring TechNet for answers, tried google... and I'm at a loss here.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thx.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote