View Single Post
Old 02-01-09, 05:54 AM   #1
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Question Some questions about TVs and monitors...

TVs, cable and home theater setups are generally pretty foreign to me because my PC is pretty much my entire entertainment system. So I have some questions that I'm hoping someone can help to clear up.

First, What are the main fundamental differences between an LCD TV and an LCD computer monitor? You can get monitors that have component and HDMI inputs and you can get TVs that have DVI and VGA inputs, so they can technically be used for many of the same things... but what makes a TV all around better for being used as a TV and a monitor better for being used as a monitor? Are there visual or functional differences that apply to all monitors or all TVs?

Some of the obvious things that come to mind are that TVs have remotes and monitors generally don't. A common thing seems to be that TVs are 16:9 to fit with the 720P and 1080P resolutions, while monitors tend to have much higher 16:10 resolutions at much lower prices and screen sizes (for example a 24" 1920x1200 monitor vs a 32" 720P TV). Another big one is that TVs usually have cable inputs and tuners. This is a big one for many people, but then again, many TVs these days don't have these because of the abundance of external tuners and satellite\cable boxes.

But this brings up another big question.

I've only ever used or worked with analog TVs and plain old analog cable, so I have zero experience with cable boxes and external tuners. The thing that blows my mind is how TVs and DVR\DVDR recorders work with TV channels when they are just connected via standard video connections (like component or HDMI) through a cable box or tuner.

For example, why do TVs that don't have built in tuners have channel adjustment buttons on their remotes? And how do you record different channels on a DVR or DVD recorder that has no cable input? If you can only change the channel using your cable box then you must always have the same channel on your TV and your recorder? It seems kind of pointless this way, but my understanding of video connections (not TV cable) is that they are simply video and do not carry multiple channels, so it doesn't seem like it can work any other way.

Any input or sites regarding these things would be a big help.

I don't have the money to dabble in home theater setups and I watch no TV (I have internet but no TV service) but I'm getting way too rusty in this area and I need to catch up.

Thanks guys.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote