View Single Post
Old 02-04-09, 09:36 AM   #26
Bman212121

Default Re: CPU scaling with GeForce 295 GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon View Post
I mean, the guy is reputable; he actually built the rig in my sig (and plenty more). Last clocks I saw, he was selling the E8600 @ 4.2GHz on air, backed with a warranty. The quote was from the CTO, Mario Cifaldi. I usually take his word on computer stuff, lol.

Let me see if I can find a bench...
It sounds like that quote might be out of context, or they are implying something with the quotes around "fits". The exe is 4.45MB on my pc, but I'll assume the v1.0 exe was 4.2MB. It doesn't make sense to load the entire exe into cache. There are thousands of lines of code that might never be used while playing the game. You have to have code that sets keybinds, player name, changes all of the graphic settings, code to handle the server browser, connect to a server, download updates, etc. All of that would just be wasting space that needs to be used by other things. There are 26 dll files in the Crysis folder that all have libraries that the code needs to pull from. These allow the program to run lots of other functions that aren't in the exe. They add up to 27MB.

Quote:
In a nut shell, a dynamic link library (DLL) is a collection of small programs, which can be called upon when needed by the executable program (EXE) that is running. The DLL lets the executable communicate with a specific device such as a printer or may contain source code to do particular functions.
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/dll.htm

On top of that there is going to need to be some room in that cache for D3D, nvidia driver code, and the Windows kernel.

If I way into what he said maybe he meant something like the core functionality from the exe was a little too big to fit into l2 cache, but that's definitely not what it says if you read it at face value.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote