View Single Post
Old 02-04-09, 03:27 PM   #28
ikjadoon

Default Re: CPU scaling with GeForce 295 GTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
It sounds like that quote might be out of context, or they are implying something with the quotes around "fits". The exe is 4.45MB on my pc, but I'll assume the v1.0 exe was 4.2MB. It doesn't make sense to load the entire exe into cache. There are thousands of lines of code that might never be used while playing the game. You have to have code that sets keybinds, player name, changes all of the graphic settings, code to handle the server browser, connect to a server, download updates, etc. All of that would just be wasting space that needs to be used by other things. There are 26 dll files in the Crysis folder that all have libraries that the code needs to pull from. These allow the program to run lots of other functions that aren't in the exe. They add up to 27MB.

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/dll.htm

On top of that there is going to need to be some room in that cache for D3D, nvidia driver code, and the Windows kernel.

If I way into what he said maybe he meant something like the core functionality from the exe was a little too big to fit into l2 cache, but that's definitely not what it says if you read it at face value.
You're right; I didn't even notice those quotes and I'm the one who posted it, lol!

I think you might have to read between the lines here, like you said. I feel like there would also have to be some files from Windows in that cache, etc. Here is the full thread, if you're wondering. This was, however,just one isolated incidence.

Thanks for the research and I actually get it...

~Ibrahim~

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ ~3.5GHz,4GB of DDR2-770, 8800GTS 640MB @ 621/1836, Western Digital 640GB, LITE-ON 20X, CM Stacker 830, Enermax 620W, Vista Ultimate 64-bit

3DMark '06: 10,302
SuperPI 1M: 15.194s
WEI: 5.8

ikjadoon is offline   Reply With Quote