View Single Post
Old 02-05-09, 03:29 AM   #52
Rakeesh

Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes because those people are used to Windows and you didn't read my point about most of them distros are not even bothered about mass market production, alot of them are made by one a hand full of people.

People didn't return the hardware because of Linux, they did because they are used to Windows and Yes even Windows gets returned.
Actually, in the majority of returns of those netbooks, it was because of linux, the customers just didn't want to take the time to learn a new user interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes there are about 6 versions of Linux distros that people know You get people all the time asking what version of Windows is best for me. It's funny, alot of companies do alot of different versions of their products, there are lots of Rock bands so your point is not really valid.

So really according to you we should have a couple of every product, only grow 3 types of Apple, really narrow minded way of thinking.
I find it a bit funny how the majority of the people who actually write software that makes up most of the linux operating system aren't as rabidly anti-microsoft as some of the people who barely even know how to use that operating system.

I like Linus Torvalds views on the subject. Software is a tool, not an ideology or a political scene. You build the software to solve problems; to create solutions. Making money on the software, or having the software make money for you, is a good thing. If you don't want to share the source with your customers, that's fine, but its better to do so, so that your customers have more flexibility and can make changes to it as they need rather than having to hope that you might do so one day in an update.

And in his case he says that you can sell anything he writes, but you have to provide the source so that if he likes your changes, he can build on those changes as well.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote