View Single Post
Old 02-05-09, 10:43 AM   #53
Sean_W

Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Actually, in the majority of returns of those netbooks, it was because of linux, the customers just didn't want to take the time to learn a new user interface.

I find it a bit funny how the majority of the people who actually write software that makes up most of the linux operating system aren't as rabidly anti-microsoft as some of the people who barely even know how to use that operating system.

I like Linus Torvalds views on the subject. Software is a tool, not an ideology or a political scene. You build the software to solve problems; to create solutions. Making money on the software, or having the software make money for you, is a good thing. If you don't want to share the source with your customers, that's fine, but its better to do so, so that your customers have more flexibility and can make changes to it as they need rather than having to hope that you might do so one day in an update.

And in his case he says that you can sell anything he writes, but you have to provide the source so that if he likes your changes, he can build on those changes as well.
I agree with what your saying and we Linux users are not all anti Microsoft but like any product, if you get mistreated you dont use it. Microsoft have done this to their customers and the industry, this is one reason why people are more than ever turning to alternatives.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote