View Single Post
Old 02-06-09, 04:32 AM   #8
Kirurgs

Default Re: Latest nvidia cards, legacy in future, and no more supported

One point of view is what You share as a customer, no support for legacy etc. which is understandable...
But hey, linux is not helping HW companies to write their drivers either... Out of a sudden they may introduce new API to handle this and that, change existing stuff and so on... Kernel changes, xorg too, they invent smth every half a year or so... It might be ok to change stuff in more or less efficient way for recent graphic processors as they share functionality, but older ones are designed completely different, so it requires additional effort to maintain that to current xorg and kernel versions...
If You look at the M$ camp, they have an api that is stable and HW companies know that this driver will last for some time... There will be no "oops, we changed that" after half a year or so...
Of course, for us, consumers, it doesn't help at all, but linux is special case, so we need to face consequences...
AMD is releasing specs which will help OS community to maintain driver for a lot longer than AMD will do or want to do for themselves, that's why I'm looking in their way... As for recent cards (>8xxx) / drivers (>=180.25) nVidia is more or less ok...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote