View Single Post
Old 02-08-09, 09:26 PM   #65
Uberman

Default Re: Xine vdpau announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Is anyone using xine-vdpau for watching DVD's? I get horrible tearing when there is horizontal panning. This only happens in xine-vdpau when using the vdpau driver. When I use the xv driver everything is smooth as can be.
Funny you should bring that up.

Background: I've just spent that last several days trying to find an operating system that would play x264-encoded films (720p & 1080p). I have been using FC8, xine 0.99.5, and an NVIDIA 8500GT using the NVIDIA 180.27 drivers, out to a 1360x768 Samsung LCD TV, and for the most part, it has done well. I've been noticing some slight stutters in the video, so I wanted to see if anything else out there did better.

I tried Vista 32- and 64-bit, and Unbuntu 8.10 32- and 64-bit. Vista played the codec pretty much flawlessly using XBMC and the NVIDIA 181.20 drivers. Ubuntu...well, that's a sad story. I was at first much impressed with it, but no matter what I tried, I could not get a player (mplayer, xine, XBMC, MythTV) to play the x264 content without noticable video tearing. I tried running them normally, running them with real-time priority (chrt -r 99), even tried the VDPAU version of mplayer. For me, they were unplayable.

I then went back to my FC8 system, and built the mplayer-vdpau executable there. I played the same two movies (Iron Man 720p, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 1080p) using both my software-only xine, and the mplayer-vdpau. I really did expect the VDPAU player to give me better video, but it too caused video tearing of the same movies that xine 0.99.5 plays without tearing!

I'm coming to the conclusion that VDPAU is only useful for machines with underpowered resources (CPUs, memory). If you have power (my machine is a Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3GHz w/ 2GB DDR2 memory + the NVIDIA 8500GT video card), then empirical evidence suggests that software rendering is actually going to give you a better video experience.

Just thought I'd throw my recent experiences and my $0.02 in.
Uberman is offline   Reply With Quote