View Single Post
Old 02-09-09, 08:58 AM   #60
radu.c

Unhappy Re: GF8200 / Poor 2D performance / ETA of fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Thanks guys, I have the information I need now.
Right, so no "BusRate". Would love some insight into the problem, just to keep me calm while I compare the performance my Dell Latitude X1 (Pentium M @ 1.1 GHz, Intel 915 IGP) to the performance of my Asus X59GL (Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz, nVidia 8200M G [10de:086f] IGP) on YouTube, and have the Dell win (the Dell can actually play fullscreen YouTube - although slightly jumpy, yet my Asus cannot - it feezes in its tracks and the CPU usage goes through the roof... unless I use driver 173, when all I get is some screen updating problems when scrolling ).

Both my laptops run Ubuntu 8.10, both at the same resolution of 1280x800.

Feels like a Lamborghini that just got overtaken by a Romanian Dacia car, and it has a really hard time keeping up.

Update: As I was writing my post, a few more posts showed up. I disabled the effects, logged out and back in, and full screen work. Regular playback still uses about "a lot" of my CPU, but when I go into full screen CPU usage drops to about the same level as windowed playback under 173. I find this spooky. Using 180.27 btw.

Last edited by radu.c; 02-09-09 at 09:08 AM. Reason: new posts appeared while I was ranting
radu.c is offline   Reply With Quote