View Single Post
Old 09-13-03, 03:52 PM   #70
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by John Reynolds
I was just thinking about this situation myself earlier today. I'm getting tired of seeing the same people constantly spouting the same negative comment over 'n over. It's like the noise ratio has gone through the roof on almost every forum and it's getting fairly irritating.

That said, however, what's also annoying is how Nvidia just doesn't seem to get the message. They blatantly continue to lie to their customers and the gaming community about cheating (let's be honest, they've yet to admit any wrong-doing whatsoever, which is, to be frank, quite insulting to anyone's intelligence if you consider the level of evidence that's been gathered against them this summer), they offer up slides that supposedly represent their internal driver development process and the safeguards that're supposed to prevent overly aggressive optimizations, and yet the latest driver build that's offered to reviewers seems to be just more of the same-old. Will any of this ever stop? Will it continue to the point that Nvidia's competitors feel that they too must start crossing the line with their optimizations so that their products are no longer unfairly represented, leaving hardware reviewers with an almost impossible job of gathering and presenting clear and accurate information to their readers as they waste their time and effort trying to work around all the cheating (which, from the screenshot detection disclosure, seem to be becoming more insidious)?

This has got to stop. The conclusion I came to this morning was that while watching the same people constantly repeating themselves in their cyclic Nvidia bashing posts is annoying, it's more important that hardware reviewers attempt some collective effort to put an end to Nvidia's parade of cheating. Stop that, and perhaps the Nvidia bashing will stop too. Until then, people are going to continue harshly criticizing the company and no amount of bannings will stop it. And ban too much and you risk becoming another [H], and we both know that is hardly desirable.

Edit: So what should be done. Draft up a document that states that there will be no further reviews, articles, editorials, or even publishing of press releases from Nvidia until they can release a WHQLed set of drivers that do not manifest any cheats once thoroughly examined. This document, to be effective, would have to be signed by the major hardware sites (Anand, Tom, [H]), and as many of the smaller sites as possible (B3D, NVNews, Tech-Report, ET, 3DGPU, ad nauseum) and people would have to stick to their guns. But even as I type this I know it's a pipe dream, that those who make their livings from their sites would immediately inject their egos into the process, and it would fail.
I don't actually think the situation will last much longer, the longer it goes the closer the endgame gets....and when Half-life2 becomes available (or the benchmark, whichever comes first) it will be the final nail in the coffin and no amount of PR is going to be able to belay the fact that the FX series won't run it very well while the R3xx will. THAT is when this will all stop, and I hope when nVidia finally wakes up and starts getting real honest with themselves really fast.

I'm sorry for the headaches I caused you Mike, I truly am. It wasn't my intent, I guess I just got carried away with the moment. (For a couple of days, but it's just felt soooo good to be vindicated! )

I'll really try and stop, please just yell at me if I get on nerves again and I'll try and keep my posts meaningful.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote