View Single Post
Old 09-13-03, 05:14 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5
Default X lockups on rapid scrolling / movement

Since some time around 2002, I have been unable to get the Nvidia drivers to work on my system, and I've had to settle for the 'nv' driver.

The X server locks up during rapid scrolling and must be killed through remote ssh login.

There are no errors reported in the log or problems starting X. The crash occurs afterwards, when running OpenGL or when scrolling text quickly, or when moving windows quickly with the mouse.

There are sometimes garbage pixels sprinkled on the screen at the time of the lockup.

At one point there was an older Nvidia driver I used with RH 7.2 on this same hardware, and it did not lock up, while the up-to-date drivers at that time locked up with these symptoms. So something in the Nvidia driver history changed which made this problem more likely (even if it's not a bug in the Nvidia driver, the driver change may act as a trigger or a catalyst for it). I don't have the good Nvidia driver version number handy, but it's over two years old and probably won't work with RH 9, which I'm now using.

The problem is reproducible every time with a simple command: cat /var/log/messages or any other large text file in an xterm. Or use an editor and scroll text down the screen quickly with the keys. Apparently the high-speed scrolling causes the X server to lock up. A tiny bit of garbage appears sprinkled on the screen as well.

Another cause of lockups is when using Nvidia's OpenGL driver. It almost always locks up.

And finally, lockups occur sometimes when using GUI applications like Galeon. Dragging a window's scrollbar or scrolling through a selection list or web page, often triggers it. I now treat windows with care, like they're explosives!!!

When using the 'nv' driver instead of 'nvidia', the lockups still occur, but MUCH, MUCH more rarely -- only once every few days of intense X activity -- and only through the last method (rapid GUI window movement) -- never through OpenGL or fast xterm text scrolling.

I've tried turning off AGP but it doesn't help.

I tested memory a while back when the problem first started, and it's okay.

Still happens with 1.0-4496.

I've always followed the instructions regarding XF86Config (removing Load "dri", and Load "GLcore", adding Load "glx" and Driver "nvidia", etc.) -- will post if desired.

Model: GeForce4 Ti 4200
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS:
Card Type: AGP
M/B: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP
Chipset: 850E
CPU: 2.26 GHz P4
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (29.5 KB, 160 views)
killough is offline   Reply With Quote