View Single Post
Old 09-20-02, 11:50 AM   #1
endothermal

Angry Mandrake 8.2 + Nvidia ti4400 - Issues

I have been working through a few problems. Here is the major problems:

if installing Mandrake 8.2 on a system with a Leadtek ti4400, the DrakX installer cannot properly dectect this video card,it then chooses vga as the driver but it also only installs XFree86 ver 3.3.6 even though you specifically ask it to install 4.2.0. Be very careful because all of the instructions posted on this board in the "official" nvidia install instructions assume that you are running 4.0.1 or higher.

Some symptoms to let you know that this has happened to you is when you go into the XF86Config-4 file you do not see an area that has Driver=NV like the instructions say. Also you should run X -version to see what version truly is installed. Please note that none of the current drivers work with 3.3.6 XFree86 or at least do not seem to work, they all state 4.0.1 or higher to work.

At this time simply doing an upgrade to 4.2.0 does not seem to work because once I did an upgrade, X -configure would no longer work and I have been searching the net dearly and I have not found information on how to do this cleanly.

Any help on how to get XFree86 4.2.0 installed once 3.3.6 is installed, specific to Mandrake and specific to the ti4400 would be greatly appreciated.