View Single Post
Old 09-14-03, 09:30 PM   #1
JellyStones

Default Linux newb needs help installing nvidia drivers.

Hey there all, so I finally decided to give Linux a try, so my first problem is how to install the Nvidia linux driver? I downloaded the latest IA32 driver from Nvidia's homepage, and in the command terminal i started up the file by typing "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run". So the installer started doing something, but then I got the following error message: "ERROR: nvidia-installer must be run as root". Since i am so new at linux could someone help me out? Also I dont know if this is a related issue, but I cant create a directory in my usr/local directory, which is where mozilla wanted to install itself, but kept telling me it couldnt create the directory either.

I am running redhat linux 9.0
Thanks in advance for any help
Martin

Edit: OK so i managed to to figure out how to log in as a root user. Now the Nvidia installer tells me I need to exit X-windows. So right now im trying to edit /etc/inittab so I can change id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault:, but the inittab is read-only so it won't let me makes changes!!!! Any help is extremely appreciated.

Last edited by JellyStones; 09-14-03 at 09:59 PM.
JellyStones is offline   Reply With Quote