View Single Post
Old 03-02-09, 06:40 PM   #2
clarious

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
I don't understand why everyone always seems to talk bad about the NVIDIA Linux driver and the developers who make it. They complain loudly about bugs, saying things like "If the past is any indication, it will be ~6months before [insert your favorite bug here] will be fixed."

Before complaining about the NVIDIA driver so much, they should try using some other card. NVIDIA is the only graphics card manufacturer which has a high-performing 3D and 2D driver for Linux (whether open- or closed-source) which supports hardware-accelerated video decoding and suspend/resume. The XOrg Intel driver has suspend and resume support, but its 3D performance is poor (simply because of the chipset) and it does not support video decoding for H264 and VC1. The XOrg ATI driver also supports suspend and resume, and has good 2D performance, but it only supports OpenGL 1.4 and its 3D performance on newer cards can be quite bad. It, too, has no support for hardware video decode acceleration. The ATI fglrx driver has mediocre 2D and 3D performance, and also has no video decode acceleration and no/poor support for power management operations. As far as the open- vs. closed-source debate, I would be willing to bet that the people who actually to the work of developing the drivers, like AaronP and Stephen Warren, would release the NVIDIA driver under the GPL if they could do so. The reason that the NVIDIA driver is closed source is probably because of some underhanded IP deal with Microsoft that keeps them from releasing information about the hardware.

So to sum it up, before you trash the NVIDIA Linux drivers and developers, you should look at where the NVIDIA drivers are in comparison to all the other drivers.
Most people will only post if they have any problem with the driver, they won't if it run fine. That explain the content of most of the posts here. It is easy to understand.

And having used 3 nvidia cards and 1 ATI/AMD card, I have to admit that nvidia driver are superior to ATI/AMD one. It works great (though not perfect), I would like to say thank to the developement team!

EDIT: And it is also easier to complain than knowing how to use google or the search function, or even read the sticky posts. (by that I don't mean every complaining posts is bad)
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote