View Single Post
Old 03-03-09, 06:57 AM   #22
shaundennie

Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

The nvidia drivers are very good but, with just a small amount of work (powermizer configuration), they would be excellent. I'm a moderator for the Ubuntu forums and we get hundreds of "It doesn't work" posts per day. That doesn't mean Ubuntu is broken. It just means that the tiny percentage of people who have problems with Ubuntu have an outlet to get help. The same goes for the these forums.

In the past I've been negative towards the nvidia devs and the driver. But, after using other hardware, it's obvious that all the graphics vendors have problems. I would say that nvidia has the least amount of problems. I really want to dislike nvidia but, in all honesty, when I buy my next laptop, it will have an nvidia card. With few options, a known and controllable evil is the best way to go.

Having said that, I think nvidia would find that they would become the "standard" if they open sourced their drivers. Intel has become the "standard" for that very reason but their hardware is garbage. If the nividia drivers were open source (which, they probably never will be), I think they would become the universally accepted solution to high performance graphics on linux.
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote