View Single Post
Old 03-18-09, 01:43 AM   #1
eliwap

Default Please... I Need Help To Determine if this is an NVidia Bug

If somebody has had a similar problem with some other app and was able to resolve this please post.

I'm currently trying to determine definitively where a problem lies. I'm trying to run a lovely mmorpg under wine called PerfectWorld International. For the most part, the game renders fine. However there a couple of problems and those problems have indeed been reported over at

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12560.

The problem is that on the normal playing area a lot of icons are corrupted and when I try to look at the map the map is also corrupted (screenshot attached). The work over at winehq indicates that the problem is very specific to this game and also, very specific to NVidia and support for S3TC. A patch has been posted on the site that works around the problem by switching off S3TC support in wine all together.

Currently running driver version
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29-pkg2.run

OK. normally I would guess, because this is specific to one game running under wine, that the problem was either in the game itself (no hope getting it fixed there - we don't support Linux mantra) or under wine. But, with the more popular stuff taking priority I can also wait forever for a fix to be provided.

However, I did try to run the game under
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.37-pkg2.run

and things got worse, with the normal playing area displaying some kind of weird kaleidoscope effect (screenshot attached - which includes corrupt icons as indicated above). Because of that, instead of being 80% sure that this is something exclusive to wine, I'm now more like 60% sure.

Could someone please help to exclude NVidia from the equation? Please?

Bug report log files will also be attached.

Thank you for your assistance.

Eli
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pwi_map_180_29.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	36065  Click image for larger version

Name:	pwi_normal_180_37.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	36068  
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_pwi_normal_180_29_x86_64.log (135.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_map_180_29_x86_64.log (134.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_normal_180_37_x86_64.log (136.1 KB, 74 views)
eliwap is offline   Reply With Quote