View Single Post
Old 03-19-09, 12:51 PM   #90
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: Core i7 Overclocking thread

Getting an i7 920 tomorrow along with some mushkin cas9 3x2 DDR3-1600 kit and an Asus P6T V2. I opted for the Zalman 9700 w/ socket 1366 mounting brackets as my air cooler (due to ease of installation mostly) and I've heard very good things about it as an i7 cooler.

My plan is to overclock to 3.8GHz (190x20), and leave the RAM at the 8x multiplier to ensure stability and timings. I am aware that I need to set the QPI multiplier lower as well, though I haven't seen the actual BIOS yet to know where that setting would be. Not sure about leaving on Turbo mode either. The rest of the system is in my sig, and I'll be putting it in an Antec 900 case.

Given this, how realistic of an overclock is this? Would keeping Turbo enabled be worth it? What voltages should I probably shoot for off the bat? Keep in mind that although I'm not a complete novice when it comes to overclocking, I'm not terribly comfortable with it. Just looking for a little guidance, it seems like you guys have been very successful. I want this to be a full-time overclock with total stability, which I'm sure can be achieved - I just don't know what frequency it'll be.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote