View Single Post
Old 03-24-09, 02:33 PM   #10
Rollo

Default Re: Good new 3D Vision article

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
Bad news for me, I hope there will be 120 hz Full HD monitors by end of year, I don't have space on my desktop for a TV.

That's exactly what I would like to know, if the game let you choose refresh rate, no problem at all. But if it doesn't there should be a way to force 60 hz from control panel. For those very rare times I wouldn't be playing in 3D

I'm playing Left 4 Dead vsynched at 60fps, so I guess I would need constant 120 fps to enjoy the game like I do know, but in 3D. In Left 4 Dead that would be no problem, I play with 8xAA at 1920x1200 (vsync and triple buffer enabled), but it could be harder to achieve in other games.

They have released updated glasses that seem to get rid of most problems (if not all), and they will be supporting MultiGPU in their next 2.0 driver (at least they will support ATI CrossFireX, not sure about SLI). Anyway I won't upgrade until DX11 cards arrive, so I have time to check their evolution.

I haven't yet upgraded to 3D because 1080p is mandatory for me, and today neither iz3d nor nVidia provide a Full HD solution (I can't put a TV on my desktop). iz3d is already working on a 26" 1080p monitor, and I hope nVidia 3D partners will have similar solutions soon.
LordJuanlo:

You say these things because you're applying old standards that in my opinion no longer apply.

The minimal resolution difference you speak of to me sounds like "Rollo, I'd update to your 50" plasma, if only it had as accurate of stereo sound as my good old 19" CRT!".

Things like a little extra resolution, a little more AA, vsych and triple buffering are literally the last thing on your mind when when you've gamed in true 3d on a game it works well with.

The difference is like the difference between looking at the Playmate of the Year in the magazine, or looking at her on your couch. It's that different.

Until this, playing video games was like watching a cartoon on your tv. Now, it's like being in the tv in a war of 3d action figures.

When you see the fire balls, plasma balls, rockets, bats, and bugs all flying around you and you can perceive the difference in how high and far away they are it gives you immersion unlike anything in what we used to call "3d" gaming.

You really need to see what Left4Dead looks like in 3d- you would throw away your old monitor.

I've had a Dell 3007WFP-HC sitting unused next to my 22" Samsung for 3 full months now, and most people consider that "as good as it gets" for gaming. (way, way, way better than any 1080 resolutions) Why does it sit when all I have to do is switch it to primary?

Because gaming in true 3d redefines what you think of as "good" in computer gaming.

I've told NVIDIA several times that this eclipses anything else they've ever done, by far.

I know I sound like I get a commission for every one sold, but I am that high on this tech that I don't really care about the old school way of gaming anymore. If NVIDIA makes this, you should buy it. If ATi puts out a comparable solution tomorrow, you should buy that if you prefer them.

The main point I'm trying to make is everyone on this board has got to be as tired as I am of "With new render mode X, wet things reflect 10% more light and shadows are 20% more rounded!".

This is the first BIG difference I've seen in computer gaming since 3dfx introduced what I used to call "3d" and now call "pseudo 3d". Head to a Frys and check it out if you don't believe me.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote