View Single Post
Old 03-24-09, 08:48 PM   #1
mattty

Default Multi-head on a 9800 GX2

I am trying to get multihead to work on a 9800 GX2 in an Ubuntu 8.04 box.

The GX2 is two gpus inside of one card. To lspci and all the other tools, it appears that I have two cards in my system.

Using nvidia-settings, I made an xorg.conf to try and run X across both gpus. Sadly, it does not seem to work for me. I have tried with and without Xinerama.

What happens is that the system sits for a long time at the Nvidia logo that is displayed when X starts. After a few minutes, the primary gpu (which runs great under normal conditions) continues into X while the other gpu still shows the logo.

The primary gpu does not get very far into X -- the gdm greeter does not finish drawing itself. I can move the mouse, but otherwise not interact with the system. Can't do ctrl-alt-back or switch to a VT. Ssh'ing into the system and running top shows X using 100% cpu, presumably busy-waiting for the other gpu.

Interestingly, this seems to be the same outcome as if I try the MultiGPU option (which I guess is just SLI on the card, right?)

I hope you guys can help me find a solution. I'm working on a project right now that will rely pretty heavily on this working (we want to take it up to three GX2s -> 6 video outputs.) It has occurred to me that I could stand to update my motherboard bios, but I have not gotten around to that.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.1 KB, 67 views)
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote