View Single Post
Old 03-25-09, 12:43 AM   #6
LauriM

Default Re: VDPAU and studio levels (16-235) possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
How is your PC connected to your TV (i.e. HDMI, DVI, component, ...). If HDMI, do you have control over RGB full v.s. reduced range on the TV?
Hi Stephen!

I used to have a Panasonic PZ70 plasma (HDMI input) connected to my Gigabyte 9600GT (DVI 2nd head) using a generic DVI->HDMI adapter and HDMI cable. That TV did not allow configuration of RGB levels (pc vs video). It was possible however to adjust the brightness and contrast on the TV to match PC levels without messing up black levels.

I first changed the display adapter to an integrated 9300 as my 9600GT was unable to give exact framerates (23.965 instead of 23.976 etc). I used the mainboard's HDMI output, connected that to my Marantz SR6003 receiver (which passes through HDMI video without video processing). This didn't change the levels, but fixed my framerate problems and gave me HDMI audio. This made the level problem more pronounced though, as now all the video signals arrive on the same TV HDMI input - so all the sources need to give a signal suitable for same TV settings.

I have now upgraded to a Pioneer KRP-500M plasma monitor. It has a setting for PC/video RGB levels, but fortunately I haven't needed that (the all-signals-from-single-input problem..) as the monitor recognizes (or defaults to?) PC levels.

I would like to second jusst's suggestion of adding predefined CSC matrixes to the drivers. Thank you both for your interest in this issue!
LauriM is offline   Reply With Quote