View Single Post
Old 03-25-09, 05:14 PM   #2459
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: Flight Simulator X Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Genius huh?

Hey you guys might want to check out my latest posts in the 'Miracle Tweak' thread at Orbx. I have managed to get my tweaks ironed out and everything seems to be balanced very well now, which allows me to run extremely dense autogen over any type of scenery with no stutters and a minimum framerate of 20, though in most places, even over Perth, I'm running at 25fps+. When there are no micro stutters even 20fps is very smooth.

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=9908.60

I found out my TBM of 120 was too high for my 300MB Buffer Pool to maintain sutter free operation over Perth due to so many different textures there, even though I was stutter free in rural areas and small towns like Coffs Harbour. To fix that I went down to a TBM of 40, and once that was done I was able to push Buffer Pools to 400MB and that cleared up the last of the micro stutters around Perth.

The only other issue I had was forests were knocking me down to 15fps at extremely dense, so I enabled a max per cell limit of 3000/2000, which now allows me to stay over 20 above even the largest forests. For some reason the max per cell limits do not work when I fly over Perth, as I get the same autogen levels with or without, so when I'm flying there it's using full levels of extremely dense autogen, and still get 25fps.

Mango also found a TBM of 40 and BP of 400MB to be the sweet spot on his Core2/GTX280/Vista system, though he uses a lower max per cell and sets autogen to very dense in game. Based on user reports it seems those that are having luck with the Buffer Pool tweak are Vista/Win7 users.

Go to the Orbx thread for more details, but these are the tweaks I have settled on with my i7/GTX260/Win7 system in order to achieve a stutter free 25-30fps average across the board with a minimum of 20fps using extremely dense autogen.

[Display]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

[SCENERY]
SmallPartRejectRadius=2

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=2000

[BUFFERPOOLS]
PoolSize=400000000

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

As a side note it seems even with a 400MB Buffer Pool I have video memory to spare, as AA settings up to 8xS supersampling @ 1600x1200 have no impact on framerates, and even when going up to 16xS, which renders at 3200x2400 on my system with 4x multisampling, I only see a 5fps hit and still stay in the stutter free 20-25fps range over Perth.

I was getting a solid 27fps with no micro stutters in both of these scenes:

EVGA Intel X58