View Single Post
Old 03-25-09, 09:46 PM   #9
maaltan

Default Re: working hdmi sound or completely disable it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerted View Post
what is exactly version of installed drivers? With recent Snapshot From ALSA GIT repositories your card must be shown as ALC1200 (without that it useless to configure alsa).
There was a bug with digital outputs, but it was fixed in GIT repository

And this is another bug https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...ew.php?id=4281
cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.19.
Compiled on Mar 19 2009 for kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (SMP).

I do see ALC1200 now. I got an annoying chirp to come out of speakers about ever 20 seconds while visiting www.khaaan.com (yeah annoying pointless webpage, but provides a constant sound stream at a high level (vs lower levels some programs might use for optimization.. then again i don't really know what I'm talking about here but its easy to access )

according to scraping the internet i am close to getting it to work, but i found this thread here(where i promptly stuck my foot in my mouth):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129247

this tells you how to turn of the digital stream allowing the "smart" T to hear the analog stream. It involves downloading the ID file (essid? cant remember acronym), hacking it, forcing the nvidia driver to use that file instead of the one sent by the TV, then hard coding video modes back into the xorg.conf file. then everyone (at least me) is happy!. I don't have a high def system ready to plug into so analog sound is fine with me.

also, on a side note, if you have an issue with tinny or thin sound, make sure that its not just that your tv's speakers suck. apparently that is where alot of midrange hdtvs are skimping on quality since "most" people connect them to a surround sound system anyway. go dig an old pair of computer speakers out of your basement and it will probably sound better.

anyway thanks for everyone's help. If anyone knows what i should do to get digital audio working, that would be great, but its not a priority for me anymore.
maaltan is offline   Reply With Quote