View Single Post
Old 03-29-09, 09:35 AM   #12
Rollo

Default Re: I need a new GPU for around $100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
Capt, those reviews are from when the 4800s launched. The drivers are MUCH better now and performance has gone up. I know since I've had one since launch.
Do you have links to reputable sources to back your findings? Besides the other reviews Capt Kill posted that show the 4850 still only on par with the GTS250, check out this review of the latest Catalyst 9.3 drivers:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/17...sta/index.html

Quote:
Right from the launch of the Catalyst 9.3 drivers, things weren’t looking good with many people complaining about issues they had with the driver suite. We had two major problems; for the most part performance was down.....The other issue we had was that as soon as we installed the driver on Windows XP with the HD 4850, we couldn't run any 3D applications. Loading one would cause our system to simply reboot.
The "new drivers" you speak of sound like a step in the wrong direction.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote