Thread: 2D performance
View Single Post
Old 04-11-09, 07:21 PM   #1
pman35

Default 2D performance

Dear all,

first of all I apologize for picking up a topic that has been discussed in various places before.

After reading various forums on the net, I came to the conclusion that I am not alone with my
problem, which is seriously frustrating and makes my machine almost unusable.

My system is an Q9550 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P with 8 Gigs of RAM running Gentoo 64-bit.
I recently plugged in a new 9800GT, and 2D performance is really frustrating (running 180.44, but tried various other versions).
I did all of the various tweaks and tunings that are posted on this forum and elsewhere, in particular setting the option

Code:
        Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222"
which makes the card run at default 3D clocks all the time resulted in a big improvement.
But still, the performance is sluggish all the time, and running Windows XP inside VirtualBox
is a nightmare. You can watch how Windows Explorer redraws its folders...

To summarize, it's impossible to work at this machine. Today I copied over my VM to the
laptop, which has only 3,2 GB and an integrated Intel graphics (945GM). But the system is
snappy, it reacts quickly, and you can be productive on that machine.

What the hell does Nvidia have in mind, leaving their customers alone like this? From my reading
on the net I realize that a huge lot of people have such problems. I think that all the nifty new
features such as VDPAU, CUDA and PowerMizer are essentially useless if even basic
things don't work reliably.

If anybody knows how to get 2D working sufficiently fast (even without 3D at all), please let me
know. The Xorg NV driver is also dog slow (even worse). I'd even consider buying another
(older) card or go for ATi to get around this. 3D is not important in the first place.

P.
pman35 is offline   Reply With Quote