View Single Post
Old 04-16-09, 05:40 PM   #19
Bowen

Default Re: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 C216 Superclocked or Vanilla GTX 275?

Yeah and it makes wish I knew about it too....sigh, but what's done is done and really the 275 is nearly as fast as the 285 is, especially if you O/C it.

As far as the fan speed, ya know you can use EVGA's Precision utility to adjust the O/C and fan speed if you want to. After I O/Ced my 260, I messed with the fan speed just to see how loud it would get and while it was far from deafening, I could notice it....that said, I've had louder fans on vid cards before, like the 7800 GTX 512!

I'm not sure but the fan might be a little different on the 275 vs the 260 but I'm not certain. You could just play around with it and see how far you can O/C it to.

If you don't already have it downloaded, try getting ATITool. It works with both AMD and Nvidia cards. It's an O/Cing and testing utility. Naturally you only want to use it to test your card. You just want to scan for artifacts and if you see some of them pop up, you'll want to lower your clock at least 5MHz. It also has a timer and if the artifact is bad enough, the timer will start over again but I don't even let it get bad, I just lower the clocks if I see one spec just to be on the safe side.

When I'm looking for the max rate, I start with 30MHz at a time in the beginning then I slow down the higher I get. I first look for reviews and see what the average maximum clocks people get, then I about 3/4 of that and see if it holds and then I slow down to 10 to 5MHz at a time when I think I'm getting close to the ceiling.

I know you won't be able to get as high because of your cooling situation....that is no A/C, but you could still use the same methods.
CM HAF 922 Case / MSI Z77A-G45 / Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8GHz / 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL PC3 12800 DDR3 RAM / eVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC / Seagate 500GB SATA / WD 1TB SATA / Optiarc AD-7240S Burner / Corsair HX850 PSU / Windows 7 HP x64
Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote